Wednesday, May 5, 2010

la flemme!

French lesson of the day:

Expression: J'ai la flemme!
[Rough] Translation: I'm straight up lazy.

3 finals down, 2 to go, and never before have I been in such a raw state of lethargy. Reasons for my sluggishness:

- An entire school year without work has left me with the attention span of a 3-year-old.
- The pressure of all of my grades coming down to one final exam has done the exact opposite of motivate me. I just don't care.
- Spring was a tease. Welcome back, winter. (Current "feels like" temperature: 35. It's May, folks.) Also, 10-day forecast: rain.

My body's in France but I think my mind's already back in the States. The fact that I've accepted my inevitable departure (in 26 days - the final countdown has begun) has made me restless, and I just can't wait to be home. Don't get me wrong, I love it here and there are SO many things I'm going to miss about France. And if I still had several months here, I know I wouldn't be feeling like this.

Perhaps I should heed my own advice, though, and appreciate the days I have left here instead of wishing time away or realizing that my year abroad is coming to such a speedy close. There are still so many things to look forward to before I'm back in Crozet. In particular:

- Blake's arrival in 8 days! I don't know if Lyon is ready for us.
- ISTANBUL in 13 days! Turkey's definitely not ready for us.
- Mom's arrival in 19 days!
- Paris in 21 days!
- Packing (sarcasm. don't even want to start thinking about the burden of stuffing the last 8 months into one suitcase.)

Best discovery of the day: one of the coolest bookstores I've ever been to. So many dusty, leather-bound books! In a rare moment of self control, I left the store les mains vides (empty-handed). Liz should be grateful she didn't have to drag my wailing body out of there.






(if only I could justify buying a 45€ copy of Aesop's fables in French
when my books alone are going to put me over my 50-pound limit...)

No comments:

Post a Comment