Wednesday, February 24, 2010

mercredi musings

Between classes and catching up with friends in cafés to discuss various February-break adventures, I haven’t had a lot of time to write. My weekend begins tomorrow, though, so I’ll work on getting post #2 up soon.

In the meantime, I’ve realized (and some of you have told me) that my blog is lacking in the pictures department. I was inspired this afternoon by the warm(ish) weather to explore the quartier just across the Rhône from my apartment. I had no particular destination in mind and no expectations, but after nearly 6 months in this city, I figured I should probably be familiar with the area, since it’s so close to me. I won’t go into too many details, but my findings – and the afternoon in general – made me fall in love all over again with Lyon.

Here’s why:

(Pont de l'Université)


(The berges du Rhône)


(Bateaux sur le Rhône)

After taking a staggering number of these kinds of pictures, I finally made my way across Pont de l’Université (of which I’ve pretty much taken ownership, referring to it as my pont if anyone even mentions it) and began to explore some of the side streets. I wish I’d discovered this area sooner! It was full of eclectic antique shops, furniture stores, tea-houses, restaurants (including a tapas bar!), boulangeries, etc., and I’m excited to waste time perusing the piles of useless knick-knacks hidden behind their doors when they’re not all closed for the evening.

Eventually, I settled into a cool-looking café, ordered an espresso, and read the book I bought this morning, Lettres à un ami allemand by Albert Camus. Eva joined me soon thereafter, 500-page Voyage au but de la nuit in hand (intimidating stuff!), and while she barely made a dent in her roman (novel), I finished mine.





All in all, a great afternoon.


3 comments:

  1. Maybe I never comment Tyler because your blog is in French and I don't know French!!! But after about an hour of searching I found it! No worries. I love that first picture! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE the picture of the book and coffee. and hearing what you do on normal days. can't wait to read your ramblings about Valencia!

    ReplyDelete